Monday, July 13, 2009

The Motivation

Ok so as the name of my Blog suggests...I am a Bug guy! a Big Aussie Guy as a matter of fact. I guess I better first explain the motivation behind the reason I thought I would actually start a Blog. I am Big, I have been big for a while, and yes right now you are probably thinking "Oh great another fatty with a hard luck story" well I am not, up until pretty much today I have enjoyed my life and the food that it took to get me here, well I can't say I have done nothing or regretted being the size that I am, I have, but all in all subconsciously I pretty much accepted that some people are big, others aren't and I was just one of those who were meant to be the former. Well a new little disease has entered my life in the form of Type 2 Diabetes. I am so jazzed to have it, really makes my life complete (you may notice in my blogs I can be somewhat cynical and sarcastic, yes it is a cover for the fears and insecurities in my life...deal with it!).

I was chatting to my wife last Night and was explaining my latest fad of drinking heaps of water and being thirsty all the time, which kind of lead to some talk about Diabetes as my family has a pretty good history of it. The discussion prompted me and I decided to do a Blood Sugar Test using my Mothers AccuCheck, nice little machine. You prick your finger with until it bleeds and then wipe the blood on a little tab and it beeps at you...well mine beeped in at 21.1, I am still not real sure what that means but apparently it is very bad (normal reading being between 3.5 to 5.5 so yeah 21.1 might be a little high) I did not go to the hospital straight away and decided to wait till the morning...Prick....OUCH.....18.9....after an emotional talk with my wife (yes upset at yet another setback health wise) I went to the Doctors...I have been prodded, inspected, jabbed, had some blood taken and supplied some Urine, or at least attempted to (a story for a future blog). My results will be made available this Thursday. I was given some horse sized tablets to clear up a rather unmentionable side symptom of the onset of Diabetes. The Doctor was very good, he did not have a go at me regarding my weight, rather gave some good advice and reassured me that he was willing to help, which is great, I mean, I just hate Doctors who just look at you and say.."Well Mr Big Guy, you are Fat and need to lose weight" uhhhh derrrrr you needed 8 years of Uni to tell me that...what a Genius!

I guess what I am trying to achieve by this Blog is to take someone, anyone on my journey, I have looked up a fair bit of information so far and it has given me some hope, but what I always have trouble finding is a genuine, honest look at the life of a Big Guy (or Girl) without something flashing up telling me to drink a shake or sell me something. I am more than happy to hear some feedback & encouragement but please don't offer me the latest fad, shake, lemon detox diet roller-coaster crap, I have been on that ride long enough and like Roller-Coaster in real life....MAKE ME SICK!

I just thought if I could give my account of what it is like to be Big Guy, an honest, open and totally upfront account, and all that goes with it...then may be I might help someone, even if it is just one, then maybe it might make a difference. Oh by the way....I will be working towards no longer being the Big Aussie Guy so enjoy prying into my private life...while you can.

Cheers

2 comments:

  1. Greg, good luck on your journey! I'm looking forward to reading your insights. Good on ya for sharin :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's great that you have the courage to do this. And you can do it! You will have the support of myself and I'm sure that your wife will be there all the way.

    ReplyDelete