Tuesday, July 14, 2009

And so it Begins......

Woke up today feeling somewhat Yuck...so what else is new, when you carry weight like I do you don't exactly wake up feeling on top of the world, add that to the news I got over the last couple of days and well...things aren't "Top of the World". Spending some quality time reading with my family helps, always does....

On a completely different Topic - I caught the Train to work this morning, I have done this every morning since starting a new job a couple of weeks ago. This morning was different as it was the first day back to school from school holidays so the Train was full of Schoolies...Interesting lot really. I had to smile to myself when I overheard a conversation about how much they hated School....word to those going to school who might read along; School is the most fun, awesome time of your life, make the most of it while you can! Normally I am not a really deep thinker...those who know me stop nodding...but after my recent news I actually watched these School kids with some envy. I recall the time when I was just like them....I enjoyed my School years, I certainly could have been better with the academic stuff, but sport was my passion, Oh yes the Big Aussie Guy was an athlete. Representative Water polo, Aussie Rules & Cricket were my biggest passions, my teenage life consisted of Sport before School, Sport after school and Sport on the Weekends...Man was I fit..My water polo training was by far the most intense as I trained almost 4.5 hours per day and played on the Saturday. As I watched these School Kids and reflected on my own time, I had one of those AHA moments..."If I did it before, I reckon I could do it again". Now I know that I might not be able to reach the same levels as my previous athletic self, but I do know the principles behind maintaining a fit and healthy life style, so it might be time to revisit those old principles!

I must say a huge thanks to those who have encouraged me and left messages (mostly on my facebook account....I have been asked a few times now what my goals were, how I am going to approach this new challenge so I will answer them in my Blogs. I thought I might set up a little log section...Now I know you are just on the edge of your seats, hanging to read my latest Blog everyday well let me save you some disappointment...every day...probably not going to happen, but I will update regularly enough to keep you up to date with the goings on of the Big Guy!

Ok so here we go...

Goals - Well my immediate Goal is to get my Blood Sugar Down - I just took a test and it is currently 14.7 - much better, but still not good.

My Long term Goal is not to lose weight - Funnily enough - I have set a Goal like that before and lost weight..what I wasn't, was healthy. I think anyone can lose weight, sure you can down a few shakes, you can eat nothing but apples and Cheese - you will lose weight - But you may not necessarily be Healthy. So long term Goal for me is to be Fit and Healthy (I assume I will lose a considerable amount weight along the way.

When I played Water polo I set a long term goal for myself to Play for Queensland....guess what? Did not happen straight away! So I set my self some really small achievable goals...good principle right? Well time to apply it - So as far as Goals go my first target is to lose 10kg. Right now you are thinking.."Hang on, you said your goal was not to lose weight!" - Losing 10 kg as a goal is more directed towards me being able do more to get healthy. In the past I have been given some pretty Dodgy advice on how to lose weight..."Just walk an hour everyday" or "Join A Gym" or "losing weight is easy, just eat less and exercise more". I think that advice is like saying to an Alcoholic..."giving up is easy, just stop drinking" - Yeah Right! For those of you who are not Morbidly Obese (I don't mean a little over weight, as the previous advice is actually pretty good) I challenge you to put on 80kg suit, wear it for a year, then see how well you go walking for an hour? Getting my drift? So to lose a few Kilos, allows you, or rather I have found allows me to gain more from a heavier exercise routine. The not fun part? Some exercise has to be done to achieve the initial weight loss....Ok for those following who are struggling, it is ok, don't panic! For me this is about a long term change and I am happy to start really small. My Exercise will Start today and I will keep you updated on how things are progressing. I will start with a walk, hopefully 30 minutes, but I am pretty sure I will struggle with that. The thing is I am not going to be upset if I don't do the full 30 Minutes, to be honest I will be happy if I hit 10-15 minutes, but my goal will be eventually to do 30 minutes of Solid walking...even-tu-ally! I know by the very nature of cutting out simple things like Soft Drink, Cakes, slices, choc chip cookies, full cream milk, peanut butter and Jam Sangas....well you get the idea, that I will lose weight, sure it is easier to give those things up when you know you might lose a leg or your life but if you are coming along on my journey....try it out, see what happens as I said in my first blog, My hope is to help someone out, anyone out! (at the same time I am helping myself).

Ok so to make along story short (too late) I will simplify my updates into a little table as follows:

  • Exercise - 1o Minutes Walk
  • Food Intake:
Breakfast - Porridge, Skim Milk, Fruit
Snack - Low Fat Diet Yogurt
Lunch -2 x Ham & Low Fat Cheese on Sour Dough Bread, Salad Greens
Snack - Corn thins Low Fat Cheese & Sliced Tomato
Dinner - Steamed Fish and Asian Greens with a 1/2 cup of Cous Cous
Other - Big Mac, Large Fries, Bag of CC's and 2 Litres of Fanta (just kidding)
  • Mood: Little low today
  • Weight Loss to Date: (updated weekly, well maybe)
Let me know if there is any other info I can include if it helps you out.

Ok I know this has been a long one, don't worry it won't last. I have to say my feelings have been very up and down and I am finding this Blogging very therapeutic, congrats to those who have read this far and thanks as well. I am somewhat fearful at the moment, fearful because My official test results are due on Thursday and I am afraid there might be more, I hope not but it still puts me on edge. I have been given some drugs for a side effect symptom that needs clearing up and it is really knocking me around as it is very potent. I don't know, I also feel like I really should have done something earlier about all of this. I know hindsight is a marvelous thing but, now that it has actually happened I feel somewhat responsible for placing an unnecessary burden on my Wife and family, I mean I could have avoided this by not making the choices I made....I just hope the motivation is there to make sure I can do now what I should have done all these many years. Oh I did go to work today and I tried my hardest to finish out the Day, but by lunch I had, had it....just not well enough....I am sure things will be better tomorrow!

Cheers

4 comments:

  1. No more Peanut butter and jam sandwiches. Oh no!

    But like you said, if you had to choose between keeping a leg and eating a sandwich the choice is pretty easy. It's hard to remember that when the peanut butter is calling your name from the cupboard but next time we pick up that little jar (or bug jar) of peanut butter we should just think of our own leg and it might make it easier. So peanut butter = no leg! Simple equation.

    Thanks Greg that may help. Only one problem for me, I don't actually like peanut butter so there must be some other culprit for my weight problem :)

    Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greg add in there couch to 5 k.

    I run and eat peanut butter too.

    remember my challenge. The Bridge to Bbrisbane run next year in September.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Greg, i watched on the news.com.au website yesterday, a video about a man who weighed over 600 pounds. and lost 400. WOW!! they showed the before and after photos. He is only 32 years old. VERY INSPIRING! and he is now a personal trainer!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know a 11 kg weight gain isn't a lot in comparison... especially since I am still so steaming hot. My concern for myself though is that both of my parents have late on-set diabetes and I eat like a glutton.
    Thanks for sharing this Greg. it makes me think that I need to start being healthy right now to avoid facing the same challenges you have been faced with.
    I'll be here moderating my lifestyle with you. That's not as insignificant as it sounds.
    Good luck with your journey! We'll be praying for you : )
    Jess S

    ReplyDelete